Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The the Winner is...

No, this blog is not about the way Kanye West was a total tool to Taylor Swift at the VMAs! This blog is about how I have discovered some of the best and worsts of Rome over the last week or so.

The Award for Worst Pasta goes to Mojio at Campo di Fiori!

Yesterday after class I wanted to to grad and quick lunch and go home to take a nap. Campo di Fiori is located about 2 blicks from teh school and is on my way home. It is a Piazza that has a pretty cool market that is open till about about one and several resteraunts surrounding it. I really wanted either pasta cobanara or cantiloni (these too dishes have become some of my favorites in the last few weeks). I walked around the piazza and saw a sign that read pasta or pizza and wine for 8.50 euro, for those of you nkow familer with prices over here that is a pretty good deal. To find a hot meal for less than 10 euro is hard. So I checked the menu and saw that had both pasta cobonara and cantiloni so I got a table and set down. I ordered my wine and learned that canitiloni was not included in the special so I order pasta cobonara. I will spare you the details just becuase they aren't that interesting and tell you it was gross! I paid and left the resturant very disappointed and tierd. I made it home in about 20 minutes a took a nap.

The Award for Best Gelato goes to Old Bridge Gelato.

After my nap I went to meet my friend Mary Beth, who I have worked at Kanakuk with for the last 2 summers, for gelato. I sort of knew where this place was but didnt know for sure. So I took my GPS and off I went. What should have been a 20 minute walk took 45 because Tom Tom took me in a round about manner. Though almost a half hour late a made it, and luckly Mary Beth was still there. I spent 3 euro on the largest quantity of Ice Cream I have ever eaten in one sitting and it was well worth it. I got 3 flavors all on one cone Blueberry, Nutella, and Cantelope. It was amazing. The two fruit flavors had really fresh fruit. The cantelope reminded me of when I was a little girl and Pop use to give the Cantelope "popsicles". Once we had our gelato we sat in St. Peters Square, ate our Ice Cream and talked for the next hour or so. It was a wonderful afternoon and we have decided we are going to meet every Wednesday for lunch. We are also looking at traveling to Austria together sometime next month.

The Award for Most Rediculous Recycling Program EVER goes to Trastervere, Rome.

I dont know how I have made it 3 weeks with out sharing how aweful it is to try to throw away a piece of trash in this apartment. For starts there are no garabage cans, but that is because there are all these bags and a crazy recycling system. There are 4 categories. Paper, Plastic, Organic Material (which last time I checked paper is organic), and non recycleble materials. Each Category has its own color bag and its own collection day. On collection day it must be outside the building before 8:30am or you will miss pick up. There are no bins you just put the bags next to the door of your building on the street. But becareful. If you are a person who plans ahead be sure not to put for trash out before 8:30pm the night before or someone might get made you. Last night I saw a bunchof old men alsomt get in a fist fight because some guy had put the trash out too early. Trahs here is just crazy and you know how I feel about recycling. Needless to say this is just furthering my hatered for the issue!

On the academic front. My classes are going very well. We went to the Capitolin Museum which was one of the first public museums in the world. It was mostly sculpure and had a lot of really cool frescos on the wall.

All is well here, the city is beautiful, and the weather has been amazing!

2 comments:

  1. Megan,
    We just love hearing about your days in
    Rome. We go to Boston in the a.m. Your Mother wll take us to the airport. We wil be glad to
    see the boys.
    Love, Nana and Pop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see that you are taking in the culture around you! Sounds like you might be able to have a book of recommendations by the time you are done. It's been nice to see your updates here and on facebook!

    ReplyDelete

de: http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/facelift/pookiebannercopy.jpg

background