Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 1 Down

I apologize that I don’t have the pictures of the apartment download yet but they are coming. I spent much of the day trying to catch up on sleep and getting settled in. My apartment, like most in Rome, is not air conditioned. It is very warm and humid, so I am in great need of a fan. I a few hours this afternoon looking for one, but did not find any shops that sell them. I am going to email the school and the people at Your Place in Rome to see if they have any ideas on where I might be able to purchase a fan.

I hate to complain about the weather, but I feel that it is justified for 2 reasons:

1. It is hott enough that the Romans are complaining about it. And in my opinion is the locals are complaining about it the visitors can too.
2. I spent 6 of the last 12 weeks living in a TP and Kamp and was never really this hott.

It is as hott and humid and Memphis and Central Arkansas in mid-August and I know that those of you reading who have been there before wouldn’t dare part with your A/C.

All and all I am doing well. My neighbourhood is great. There are lots of restaurants, and shops. Everything I need (except and fan) is just right around the corner.

Thing I have Learned Since I Arrived:
1. 5 minutes= 15 minutes and 20 minutes= 45 minutes
2. Bubbly water is gross and all water has bubbles unless it is coming out of your sink or says mineral water on it.
3. Despite what travel books say, Italians do where shorts. They are just longer. In other words the travel books should say "Italians don’t where booty shorts"
4. There is no reason to sleep-in in a city that takes siestas. Just take a nap while they do whatever it is they do during siesta.
5. Restaurants and bars and open late but nothing else is.

For those of you who have Google mapped by address, mine is the yellow building second floor from the top on the corner.

Happy Birthday Courtney! I here 23 is kind of let down but have fun anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment

de: http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/facelift/pookiebannercopy.jpg

background