Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sundays

I really like Sundays here in Rome. For some reason things seem much less touristy and everything is a little bit more chill.

This morning I got up to go see the Pope bless the crowd on St. Peter's Square. He bless the crowd at noon and I got there at about 10 so that I could have a good spot. Well no one was there, except for the 100s of people running the Rome Marathon. Who knew the Rome Marathon and the NYC Marathon were on the same day or that the starting line was St. Pete's Square? Not me! It was a fun little surprise and it was fun to get to be a part of the hustle and bustle. I had planned to grad a quick breakfast on my way to the Vatican, but because of the Marathon and the fact that it was Sunday morning nothing was open. I finally found a place and spent 8 euro (yea, I don't know if you have been following the exchange rate lately but that is like 12 bucks), on a pastry and a drink at one of these tourist trap vendor stands. Everyone and there mother knows not to but stuff from them but it was the only place open. After getting my breakfast I found a place to sit in St. Peters Square and read my book. Come to find out there was no need for me to be early because the crowd doesn't really show up until 11:30 but it was a very nice a relaxing morning.

At noon the Pope made his apprentice in the window of his apartment. He spoke for about 10 minutes in Latin (I think). I did recognize them saying the Hail Mary and one point and then he put his hands out for what I assume was the blessing. He then spent about 15 minutes speaking to the different groups there native tongue. He spoke to English speaking people and told us something about praying for those who have gone before us (I think) and then he spoke to Italians, and Spanish, and Dutch, and Polish. Is accent was so think that I really didn't understand what he was saying even when he was speaking English but it was still pretty cool.

This afternoon I came back and took a nap and went to internet church. Once again I really enjoyed it. If you are ever at home on a Sunday and can't make it to church you should check it out. www.crossoverworship.com Services at at 11am and 8pm central time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

de: http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/facelift/pookiebannercopy.jpg

background