Thursday, November 26, 2009

Passport Nightmare!!!

So...for those of you havent heard the story or are wondering what is up withthe strange facebook post here it is. As you all know I was supose to head to Athens this morning. I packed last night and got up at 7 this morning. I gave myself and 30 minute window in case something went wrong, and I got out of the house 15 minutes earlier than I planned (and that is about where the good morning ended). I got to the elevator adn relized I forgot to grab my passport, no problem I thought I will just run back in a get it (I also thought man I am glad I relized that now). So I went back in the apartment and my passport was not where I kept it. I proceeded to turn my apartment upside down looking everywhere. Eventually I gave up on finding it and pulled out the photocopy of my passport and called my mom (it was Mid-night in the states mind you) to see if she thought I would be okay. We both thought/ hoped that the copy as well as my American Driver license would be enough since I was staying in the EU. So i proceed to catch the bus that took we to catch that the train that took me to the airport. I got through security no problem and to my gate. As i was proceed to board the plane the sweet lady at the desk looked at my documents and asked me if a I had a letter from the police stating I had reported the passport lost or stolen, I told her know I just lost it this morning. She talked to the man and the next counter and they said therewasno way they could let me on. At this point I was holding back tears as I continue to talk to kind man at the other counter abotu what i neeeded to do.

After talking to him I called my wonderful mother who had told me to call her when I got the airport with an update (at this point it is 3am in the us mind you). Sometime between my dad answering the phone and my mom getting on the line I just lost it and was bawling in the middle of the airport. She told me not to worry, go back to my apartment and look at getting a new flight. So I did. I was able to calm myself down and regain my compsure as I sat on the train and listened to my iPod. It real is amazing just how amazingly soothing a train ride is. I think it must be like what babies feel like when you put them in there car seat in the car and they fall asleep.

I got back to my apartment and began putting my apartment back together and thinking about just what I could have done with my passport. And the I remembered. I had put it in my coat pocket in Milan last week. Sure enough there it was in my coat pocket! After finding my passport I sent my mom a text telling her I had found it, and I began to look at new flights.

I am flying easy jet one of these cheapo discount airlines and they dont do refunds so I had to buy a whole new ticket to Athens. I made the purchase and 200 UDS later I will depart for Athens in the morning. I am trying to just look at this morning as apractice run. A dry run as my teacher Mrs. Smith use to call it in high school. She use to tell us about how growing up hermom would make them do dry runs of the first day of school before each school year started. I guess God just felt I needed a dry run on my Athens trip.

I should have known my mom wasnt sleeping last night because she called my 7 am Memphis time to see how things were goign and if I had found a flight. She really is amazing and I love her a lot!

With me in town there were 4 of us who didnt have family in town for the Holiday so my roomate who loves to cook tried to cook something that resembled Thanksgiving Dinner. We had Turckey and a fresh vegtible medly. It was very yummy and then we had Ice cream and Fresh Fruit Tort that I bought form my favorite pastry shop. I have been looking for a reason to buy one all semester and this seemed like as good as reason as any. After dinner we walked up to Piazza Nevona to see a Christmas Festival that we thought started today but apparently it doesn't kick off until tommarrow but it runs through Christmas so we will check it out again later.

Though the day started out pretty aweful it ended up being very nice. Plus, I will still be able to enjoy the weekend in Athens.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I am so greatful for so many things at this point in my life that I could right a whole blog on nothing but that and perhaps I will later next week. To all my friends and family you mean the world to me and I miss you dearly. I cant wait to get back to the states and celebrate Chirstmas with each of you. I am bless to have learned so much about myself this year. Once again Happy Tanksgiving to you all.

PS I am using the computer in the apartment again and the speel check doesnt work so pleas forgive the spelling errors. In case you didnt know by now there are many things in life you can count on me for, but one of them is terrible spelling and another is that with out fail I will loose something. Luckly, though, I have gotten better about both of these habits with age. Perhaps if I live to be 100 I will out grow one or both of them!

3 comments:

  1. Megan,
    God bless you. Pop and I are so sorry about
    your passport. We hope you will have a
    great time in Athens. We missed you
    at Thanksgiving Dinner.
    Love,
    Nana and Pop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan! I'm so sorry about your passport incident. Athens will still be there tomorrow!! I'm glad everything worked out in the end. I cried at the airport in Paris after missing a flight and not being able to find anyone who spoke enough English to help. It happens. :-) I love you and I hope you enjoy your trip! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have learned that there is a pothole in almost every road in life and it is what you make it. There will be disapointments, But I have also been told in 2 Cronicles 17 - "Do not be afraid, do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the Lord will be with you." Be happy, make the most of every min. and never waste time feeling sorry for yourself. I love you big bunches and I am blessed because you are my daugher! Mom

    ReplyDelete

de: http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/facelift/pookiebannercopy.jpg

background