Thursday, July 9, 2009

OOO-EEE I live in a Tee-Pee

Yes, you are reading that right I live a Tee-Pee. For those of you who don't know one of the things that makes Kanakuk K-Seven Unique is that instead of cabins we live in Tee-Pees. They are about 40 tall and are perched a top large wooden decks with fans in the floor and the top to help fight the southern Missouri heat. They sleep about 14 people in bunk beds, and if you have never slept in a tee-pee then you are missing out. I have been doing it for about 11years now and it is a blast!

I know that many of you have been wondering what ago group I am working with, and up until now my answer to you have been I don't know. Well now I know. When I got to kamp a few days ago they asked me to be a UC (Unit Coordinator) instead of a tradition counselor. I UC works with the counselors in 3-4 tee-pees. Building relationships with the counselors is as important as building relationships with the kids. My main job is to support and help to counselors to develop whatever skills they need to minister to there girls. I am the UC for tee-pees 8,9,10. There are 6 counselors in these 3 tee-pees and there girl range in age from 10-15 with most of them being between the age of 11-13.

As a UC I get to be a boat driver as well. I am very excited about this because it means that I get to be on the lake a lot! I have spent the last several days learning to drive boats, wake board, and pull people around the lake on knee boards, skis, wake boards, and of course tubes. I will be able to drive kids around as soon as I finish my MO boaters license test.

No comments:

Post a Comment

de: http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/facelift/pookiebannercopy.jpg

background